Help Recognize Hawkeye Veterans!
The Hawkeye Distinguished Veterans Award was established in 2015 to honor distinguished members of the armed forces who have demonstrated exceptional service to both the United States and their communities. Five veterans including one current University of Iowa student are selected annually for the award.
Recipients of the Hawkeye Distinguished Veterans Award have demonstrated these upstanding qualities:
- A strong University of Iowa connection
- Honorable service to our country
- Military accomplishment or contributions
- Service to the community
The event is sponsored by the UI Army ROTC and Air Force ROTC programs, the Division of Student Life/Iowa Memorial Union, UI Military and Veteran Student Services and the Hawkeye Distinguished Veterans Memorial Awards Committee.
Contributions will help fund award recipient’s awards and will support a plaque displayed in the Iowa Memorial Union, which was created to pay tribute to Iowans who served their country. Funding will also support the annual recognition program and banquet attended by recipients and their families and guests.
2017 award recipients
- Hospital Corpsman Willard "Sandy" L. Boyd, U.S. Navy
- Specialist 4 David Drake, U.S. Army
- Capt. Hayden Fry, U.S. Marine Corps
- Ensign Nile Clarke Kinnick, Jr., U.S. Navy
- Capt. Luther Smith, U.S. Army Air Corps
- Capt.. Jeremy Williams, U.S. Army Reserves
2016 award recipients
- Staff Sgt. Henry B. Tippie, U.S. Army Air Force
- Lt. Commander Dr. James Van Allen, U.S. Navy
- Staff Sgt. Robert Miller, U.S. Army
- Cpl. Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., U.S. Army
- SFC Curtis K. Lane, U.S. Army
2015 award recipients
- The late Col. (retired) Brooks Booker, U.S. Air Force
- Gen. (retired) James Cartwright, U.S. Marine Corps
- Staff Sgt. Mike Considine, U.S. Air National Guard
- Maj. Gen. (retired) Kenneth Leuer, U.S. Army
- Lt. (retired) Ernie Pascarella, U.S. Marine Corps